Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An ugly baby



This is a quick attempt at a relief etching. I thought of trying it after looking at Anish Kapoor's print in the Printmaking book. I actually thought his was an etching, but then when I looked it up online to double check (after fruitlessly looking for relief etching/intaglio) I found out it was a wood etching. I thought I'd still try it, and found out that it actually isn't too difficult if you are well prepared. This print is dirty for a number of reasons, namely because I don't have the patience tonight to clean it up, but also because regular techniques for cleaning a plate don't fair as well. Hand wiping is still the best technique without tools, but if i had q-tips then I think it'd come out spotless. At least on the relief area.
I originally wanted to only ink the raised spots, but that failed pretty much immediately. I thought if I just left the plate in the experimental bath for a few hours the acid would create enough contrast and I wouldn't have to worry about catching the ink scraper on the recessed regions. Nope. It looks like to get that kind of contrast I would need to leave the plate in the bath for at least a week. At least if I want it to be as easy as woodcut inking. That's really what I thought it would be like. At least hoped. Woodcut inking is so much easier, but of course it couldn't be that way with etching. I'll give it a week or two in the bath after I print a few more reverse prints a bit cleaner. (Reverse being in comparison to my original intentions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment